For cracking the banking examinations, it is important to keep yourself updated with the News which is happening inside and outside the world. You must have to be well-acquainted with all this latest and current News. So, we on the daily basis use to provide you the Daily GA Dose, which covers all the sections of today’s News.
Here is Daily GA Dose of the day. Make yourself benefited from the same.
Oct 09: World Post Day
- World Post Day is observed every year on Oct 09 to spread awareness about the postal services and their role in the everyday lives of people and businesses.
- 2018 theme is: ‘Imagine you are a letter travelling through time. What message do you wish to convey to your readers?’.
- It is celebrated to mark anniversary of the establishment of the Universal Postal Union (UPU) in 1874 in the Swiss Capital, Bern.
- In India, this day is celebrated by Department of Posts.
External Affairs Ministry launches India for Humanity initiative
- The Union Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) launched India for Humanity initiative to commemorate the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi and honour of his service to humanity.
- The initiative will feature year-long series of artificial limb fitment camps in a number of countries spanning globe.
- It aims to provide physical, economic and social rehabilitation of differently-abled around world by helping them regain their mobility and dignity to become self-respecting and productive members of society.
- It focuses on Mahatma Gandhi’s philosophy of compassion, caring and service to humanity.
PM unveils 64-foot-tall statue of peasant leader Chhotu Ram in Rohtak
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi unveiled 64-foot-tall statue of peasant leader Sir Chhotu Ram at his native village Sampla in Rohtak district of Haryana.
- The statue has been sculpted by renowned sculptor and Padma Bhushan-recipient Ram Vanji Sutar.
Govt reconstitutes SPG under NSA
- The Union Govt reconstituted Security Policy Group (SPG) under chairmanship of National Security Advisor to assist National Security Council (NSC) in strategising on matters dealing with external, internal and economic security of the country.
- It will undertake among other tasks including long-term strategic review of country’s security affairs.
- It will be 16-member body chaired by National Security Advisor (NSA) Ajit Doval.
- Its members will include NITI Aayog Vice Chairman, Cabinet Secretary, Chiefs of the three defence services, RBI governor, foreign secretary, home secretary, finance secretary and defence secretary.
IAF launches MedWatch mobile health app
- Indian Air Force (IAF) launched ‘MedWatch’ mobile health app to provide health information to users, including first-aid and other health and nutritional topics.
- It was launched on the occasion of IAF’s 85th anniversary (Oct 08).
- It is the first of its kind mobile health app built by any of the three armed forces.
- It will provide correct, scientific and authentic health information to air warriors and all citizens of India.
- It comprises host of features like information on basic First Aid, health topics and nutritional facts, reminders for timely medical review, vaccination and utility tools like Health Record Card, BMI calculator, helpline numbers and web links.
Idiocracy among 1,400 new words in Oxford dictionary
- The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) has officially added the word ‘Idiocracy’ in it.
- It is among 1,400 new words, senses, and phrases added to the latest update of OED.
- OED also added term ‘trapo’ which in Philippine English means politician perceived as belonging to conventional and corrupt ruling class.
- It also added adjective bongga from Philippine English borrowed from Tagalog, which means extravagant, flamboyant, impressive, stylish, or excellent.
Arunachal Pradesh Govt launches Sashakt Kisan Yojana (SKY) and Krishi Samuh Yojana (KSY)
- The Arunachal Pradesh Govt has launched the Chief Minister’s Sashakt Kisan Yojana (SKY) and Chief Minister’s Krishi Samuh Yojana (KSY) in Itanagar.
- The Sashakt Kisan Yojana (SKY) will subsume three state flagship programmes, namely – CM’s Employment Generation Scheme (EGS), CM’s Agri-Mechanization Programme (AMP) and CM’s Flagship Programme on Tea and Rubber.
- Krishi Samuh Yojana (KSY) aims to empower the farmers through cooperative approach, by providing timely supports and marketing interventions of the govt for better price realization and doubling farmers’ income.
China to sell 48 Wing Loong II military drones to Pakistan
- China agreed to sale 48 Wing Loong II high-end armed drones to its all-weather ally Pakistan.
- This is China’s largest export deal for drones to date in international market.
- Total of 48 Wing Loong II UAVs will be jointly built by China’s Chengdu Aircraft Corp (CAC) and Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC) Karma.
Bangladesh enacts Digital Security Bill, 2018
- President of Bangladesh, Abdul Hamid gave his assent controversial Digital Security Bill, 2018, by enacting it as a law.
- New law combines previous colonial-era Official Secrets Act with tough new provisions such as arrests without warrant.
- Digital Security Bill 2018 was passed by Bangladesh’s Parliament to deal with cybercrimes, including hurting religious sentiment, spreading negative propaganda against 1971 Liberation War and Bangabandhu (Sheikh Mujibur Rahman).
- It provides for minimum of 7 years and a maximum of 14 years’ imprisonment, as well as monetary fines of a minimum of Taka 25 lakh and maximum of Taka 1 crore, or both for illegal access and destruction of any important information related to state affairs.
R N Ravi redesignated as the deputy NSA
- R N Ravi has been redesignated as the deputy National Security Advisor (NSA).
- He is also the Central govt interlocutor for talks with Naga insurgent group National Socialist Council of Nagaland (NSCN-IM) and will continue to be the centre’s interlocutor for Nagaland.
- He has been shaping a peace accord with the NSCN (IM).
- He will be the third deputy reporting to national security adviser Ajit Doval after former RAW chief Rajinder Khanna and former diplomat Pankaj Saran.
GoI reconstituted Supreme Court-empowered EPCA
- The Govt of India (GoI) reconstituted Supreme Court-empowered Environment Pollution (Prevention and Control) Authority (EPCA), which is tasked with taking various measures to tackle air pollution in the National Capital Region (NCR).
- The last EPCA has been expired on Oct 03, 2018.
- Former secretary Bhure Lal will continue to be the chairman of reconstituted Pollution watchdog EPCA.
ESIC wins ISSA GOOD Practice Award, Asia and Pacific 2018
- Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) has been awarded ISSA (International Social Security Association) ISSA Good Practice Award for Administrative Solution for Coverage Extension at Regional Social Security Forum for Asia and Pacific held at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- It was given to ESIC in recognition of its measures taken for extension of coverage Scheme for Promoting Registration of Employers and Employees (SPREE), reduced rate of contribution rates for 24 months in newly implemented areas and raising wage limit for coverage under ESI Act, etc.
- International Social Security Association (ISSA), headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland in ILO, is principal international organization for Social Security Organizations, Governments and Departments of Social Security.
William Nordhaus, Paul Romer awarded 2018 Nobel Prize in Economics
- American economists William Nordhaus and Paul Romer have been jointly awarded 2018 Nobel Prize in Economics Sciences for integrating climate change and technological innovation into macroeconomic analysis.
- Their findings have significantly broadened scope of economic analysis by constructing models that explain how market economy interacts with nature and knowledge.
- William Nordhaus is professor at Yale University.
- He was first person to create economic model that describes global interplay between economy and the climate in the 1990s.
- The model had showed that the most efficient remedy for problems caused by greenhouse gases is a global scheme of universally imposed carbon taxes.
- Paul Romer is professor at New York University’s Stern School of Business.
- He has showed that how economic forces govern willingness of firms to produce new ideas and innovations.
Weightlifter Jeremy Lalrinnunga wins India’s maiden gold medal at Youth Olympic Games
- Weightlifter Jeremy Lalrinnunga at the age of 15 won India’s maiden gold medal at 2018 Youth Olympic Games being held in Buenos Aires, capital of Argentina.
- He won the medal in in the men’s 62 kg category by lifting total of 274 kg (124 kg +150 kg) weight to finish on top.
- The silver medal was won by Turkey’s Toptas Caner, who lifted 263 kg (122 kg + 141 kg) and bronze medal to Colombia’s Villar Estiven Jose who lifted 260 kg (115 kg + 143 kg).
Thangjam Tababi Devi clinches India’s first judo medal at Olympics
- Thangjam Tababi Devi at the age of 16 became India’s first judo medallist at the Olympic level.
- She achieved this feat after winning silver medal at ongoing Youth Olympics Games in Buenos Aires, capital of Argentina.
- She won the medal after losing to Venezuela’s Maria Giminez in the finals of the women’s 44kg category.
Keerthana Pandian won girls’ title in IBSF World Under-16 Snooker Championships
- Keerthana Pandian from India won the girls’ title in the IBSF World Under-16 Snooker Championships by defeating Belarussian rival Albina Leschuk 3-1 in the final.
- It’s her first international crown.
- In the boys category, Ben Martens of Belgium clinched the title in St Petersburg, Russia, according to information received from the media cell of International Billiards & Snooker Federation (IBSF).
Gandhian Natwar Thakkar passes away
- Eminent Gandhian Natwar Thakkar, popularly known as ‘Nagaland’s Gandhi’, passed away in Guwahati at the age of 86.
- The social activist had founded the Nagaland Gandhi Ashram at Chuchuyimlang village in Mokokchung district.