GA- 11 Jan 2017
January 10: World Hindi Day
- The World Hindi Day is observed annually on 10 January.
- On this occasion, Union Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) has conducted special events to spread the greatness of the language through its missions abroad.
- Besides, the Department of Official Language (Rajbhasha) also organises several events to mark this day.
- The World Hindi Day was first observed on 10 January 2006.
- It is in addition to present National Hindi Divas which is being observed annually on 14 September.
PM Narendra Modi inaugurates India’s first international stock exchange at Gift city
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated India’s first international stock exchange at International Financial Services Centre (IFSC) in Gujarat International Financial Tech City (GIFT) located in Gandhinagar, capital of Gujarat.
- It is named as International exchange-India (INX) and is wholly-owned subsidiary of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE).
Ministry of Power unveils World’s Largest Street Light Programme
- The Union Ministry of Power unveiled world’s largest street light replacement programme in South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC) area.
- It is implemented under LED based Street Lighting National Programme (SLNP) by the Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL), a joint venture under the Union Ministry of Power.
- Under SLNP, 2 lakh street light will be replaced with LED lights in SDMC area.
- It will result in cumulative annual energy savings of 2.65 crore kWh and daily reduction of 22,000 tonnes of greenhouse gases.
- The programme will provide benefits to the residents of SDMC area as it would lead to a reduction in dark spots and increased security.
- It will result in cumulative savings of Rs. 135 crores in next 7 years and Rs. 50 crores per annum. Thus, help in investment in social development initiatives and that too without any extra money.
PM Narendra Modi inaugurates Nobel Prize Series India Exhibition in Gandhinagar
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the Nobel Prize Series Exhibition in Gandhinagar, Gujarat. It is the first-of-its-kind conclave of Nobel laureates to be held in India.
- It has been organised by Nobel Media and coordinated by the Department of Biotechnology.
- Nine Nobel laureates are attending it and interact with students of Indian Universities.
- The Nobel Prize Series 2017 will feature a five week long Science Exhibition.
- It is being set up by the Nobel Foundation with exhibits from Nobel Museum at Stockholm, Sweden.
- One of the 9 Nobel laureates include India-born scientist Dr Venkatraman Ramakrishnan.He won 2009 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for his work on ribosome structure along with Thomas A Steitz and Ada Yonath.
Sex ratio in Haryana touches 900-mark for first time in 20 years
- The child sex ratio at birth (SRB) in Haryana for the first time has touched 900-mark in two decades.
- SRB in December 2016 in Haryana was 914.
- From January to December 2016 out of 5,25,278 children were born in Haryana, 2,76,414 were boys and 2,48,864 were girl.
- In 2011, India’s child sex ratio stood at 914 girls to 1000 boys, the lowest since Independence and Haryana had a child sex ratio 834 girls to 1000 boys, far worse than the national average.
- The recent improvement SRB in Haryana was made possible due to effective implementation of the law against illegal sex determination and female foeticide.
- Besides, Union Government also had launched the ambitious “Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao” (B3P) campaign against female foeticide in Panipat in January 2015.
BIS revises Indian Standard on gold hallmarking
- The Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) has revised the Indian Standard on gold hallmarking, effective from January 1, 2017.
- Now, the hallmarked gold jewellery will be available in three grades of 14 carat, 18 carat and 22 carat.
- Henceforth, the caratage will also be marked on jewellery in addition to fineness for convenience of consumers.
- The caratage for 22 carat jewellery 22K will be marked in addition to 916 (22K916), for 18 carat jewellery 18K will be marked in addition to 750 (18K750) and for 14 carat jewellery, 14K will be marked in addition to 585 (14K585.
- Thus, the hallmark on gold jewellery will now have four marks, BIS Mark, purity in carat and fineness, assaying centre’s identification mark and jeweller’s identification mark.
HDFC launches Humanoid robot IRA
- India’s second largest private sector lender HDFC Bank launched IRA (Intelligent Robotic Assistant), a ‘humanoid’ at its Mumbai branch.
- The human-sized robot Ira was developed in association with Kochi-based Asimov Robotics to assist the customers in banking activities.
- It will provide smoother customer service, employee assistance, marketing and automate the banking process.
- Earlier in November 2016, City Union Bank had introduced India’s first banking robot named Lakshmi which uses artificial intelligence to handle 125 topics.
Air India launches ‘Fly For Sure’ scheme
- The national carrier Air India (AI) launched a ‘Fly For Sure’ scheme under which passengers can board any other AI flight on the same sector on the same day on missing their booked flight.
- To avail this facility, the customer has to pay extra Rs. 2,000 while booking the ticket and get to board any Air India flight on the same day and same sector.
- The voucher will be non-refundable and can be availed on all domestic routes offered by AI.
Tamil Nadu becomes 21st state to join UDAY
- Tamil Nadu became 21st state to join Central Government’s power utility turnaround scheme Ujwal Discom Assurance Yojana (UDAY).
- It will allow state government to bail out state-owned distribution firms struggling with mountains of debt.
- The UDAY Scheme aims at financial restructuring and turnaround of Power Distribution companies (DISCOMs) and also ensures a sustainable permanent solution to the problem.
Rajnath Singh lays the Foundation stone for new NDRF campus
- Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh laid the foundation stone for the construction of National Disaster Response Force’s (NDRF) new campus at Kondapavuluru village of Gannavaram mandal in Krishna district, Andhra Pradesh.
- The campus will be built on 50 acres of land and will accomodate the NDRF’s 10th battalion which is presently stationed at Mangalagiri in Guntur district.
- It will have world class training centre, administrative block, residential area, helipad, play-ground, swimming pool, quarters for officials, vehicle depot, training centre, school and other facilities.
- The 10th Battalion NDRF is responsible for providing rescue operation during natural calamities, accidents, cyclones and floods in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka.
Assam Govt to launch e-Wallet Tokapoisa.in
- The Assam Govt will launch its indigenously-developed e-Wallet Tokapoisa.in to enable the people of the state for hassle-free online transactions in local language.
- It will be launched on the occasion of Digi Dhan mela to be held in Guwahati.
- Tokapoisa.in has been developed by the AMTRON to facilitate government-related transactions using mobile application.
Maharashtra Govt launches India’s largest WiFi service
- Maharashtra Govt launched India’s largest public WiFi service called ‘MumbaiWifi‘ in state capital Mumbai with aim to empower people digitally.
- It is also claimed to be one of the largest wifi service in the world.
- The facility was inaugurated by Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis.
- Initially in first phase it will provide 500 Wifi hotspots across various locations across Mumbai. In second phase, sate Government will provide 1200 WiFi hotspots by 1 May 2017.
ISRO, CNES ink pact on satellite launch
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and French Space agency (CNES) have signed a partnership agreement in satellite launch technology.
- The agreement was signed between ISRO Chairman Kiran Kumar and CNES President Jean-Yves Le Gall in the presence of visiting French Minister of Foreign Affairs Jean-Marc Ayrault in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- Space cooperation is one of the cornerstones of the Indo-French strategic partnership and spans over 50 years. ISRO is the second partner of CNES, in terms of volume, after NASA.
- This agreement will strengthen the CNES-ISRO partnership.
- It will enable France to benefit from the Indian model of streamlining the costs of space programmes.
Pakistan test-fires first nuclear-capable submarine cruise missile Babur-3
- Pakistan successfully test-fired its first Submarine-Launched Cruise Missile (SLCM) Babur-3 capable of carrying a nuclear warhead.
- This launch gives Pakistan a “credible” second-strike capability.
- The Babur-3 missile was fired from an underwater mobile platform from an undisclosed location in the Indian Ocean and hit its target with precise accuracy.
- SLCM Babur-3 is a sea-based variant of Ground Launched Cruise Missile (GLCM) Babur-2.
- It has been named after the first Mughal Emperor Zahir-ud-Din Babur. It has a range of 450km.
China launches first commercial space mission with new Kuaizhou-1A rocket
- China successfully launched first commercial mission using an updated version of the low-cost Kuaizhou-1A rocket.
- As part of the mission three satellites JL-1, CubeSats XY-S1 and Caton-1 were launched into space.
- The rocket was launched form northwestern China’s Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in Gansu province.
- Rocket technology company under the state owned China Aerospace Science and Industry Corporation (ACSIC) was responsible for the successful launch mission.
Eight-year old Kashmiri boy becomes national boxing champion
- An eight-year old boy from Jammu and Kashmir’s Rajouri has won gold medal in Thai Boxing Championship at the national level.
- Abbu Ammaz, a class 2 student was felicitated by the district authorities and the civil administration as well as by the police.
Kalyan Krishnamurthy appointed as CEO of Flipkart
- Kalyan Krishnamurthy was appointed as new chief executive officer (CEO) of India’s largest online retailer Flipkart.
- He replaces cofounder Binny Bansal to a new position as group CEO.
- In his new role, Krishnamurthy will be responsible for Flipkart’s profit and losses.
- Flipkart also appointed its CAO Nitin Seth as the Chief Operating Officer for the company.
Gionee signs up Virat Kohli as brand ambassador
- Chinese smartphone maker Gionee clocked $1.4 billion (₹ 9,500 crore) of revenue in India last year, closing in on rival Micromax Informatics, and expects sales to grow 2.5 times this year.
- The company, which entered India in 2012 and competes with Chinese rivals, including Xiaomi and Lenovo, besides market leader Samsung Electronics, has signed on Indian cricket team captain Virat Kohli as a brand ambassador after bringing in Alia Bhatt last year.
Amitabh Bachchan gets US embassy award for his fight against tuberculosis
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan was given an award by the US Embassy in appreciation for his invaluable contributions to the US-India partnership on tuberculosis.
- The award was presented on January 8 by US Ambassador to India Richard R. Verma to the legendary actor who is also a tuberculosis survivor and brand ambassador for the initiative.
- In March 2016, Amitabh attended a reception at the US Embassy in New Delhi as tuberculosis brand ambassador and a survivor of the disease.
Karan Johar invited as cultural leader in World Economic Forum
- Filmmaker Karan Johar has been invited to the World Econonic Forum as a cultural leader.
- The event will take place in Davos Klosters, Switzerland, from January 17 to 20.
- Personalities such as Amitabh Bachchan, A R Rahman and Mallika Sarabhai have been previously invited to Davos.
Cristiano Ronaldo named the world’s best player for 2016
- Portuguese footballer Cristiano Ronaldo was named the world’s best player for the year 2016 at the inaugural Best FIFA Football Awards held in Zurich, Switzerland.
- To win this title he received 34.54% of total votes.
- He defeated Barcelona’s Lionel Messi (26.42%), Atletico Madrid’s Antoine Griezmann (7.53%) to win the coveted prize.
- Other 2016 awardees are
- Best FIFA Women’s Player: Carli Lloydll (US).
- Best FIFA Men’s Coach: Claudio Ranieri (Italy).
- Best FIFA Women’s Coach: Silvia Neid (Germany).
- FIFA Puskas Award: Mohd Faiz Subri (Malaysia).
- FIFA Fair Play Award: Atletico Nacional
- FIFA Award for an Outstanding Career: Falcao (Brazil).
- FIFA Fan Award: Borussia Dortmund and Liverpool supporters.