Vision SBI PO: GA- 22 April 2017
April 22: Earth Day
- Earth Day is celebrated every year on April 22.
- It was first celebrated in 1970, and since then it is celebrated in more than 193 countries by over a billion people every year.
- Earth Day celebrations are coordinated globally by the Earth Day Network.
- Earth Day 2017’s Campaign is Environmental & Climate Literacy.
- Environmental and climate literacy was chosen as it is important for creating green voters and advancing environmental and climate laws and policies across the globe as well as to accelerate green technologies and jobs.
- Every year Earth Day is being observed on the 22nd April to build support for environmental protection around the world.
- It aims to encourage people to carry out activities that will benefit the Earth, such as recycling more, using solar power or plant trees.
- It recognises that Earth and its ecosystems provide its inhabitants with life and sustenance.
- It also aims to raise awareness that humans have a collective responsibility to promote harmony with nature and to balance the economic, social and environmental needs of present and future generations.
India-South Korea sign MoU on shipbuilding
- A MoU has been signed between India and South Korea for defence industry cooperation in shipbuilding.
- Under the MoU, the two countries would recommend the organisations for collaborating in the implementation of specific projects.
- The MoUs signed will be valid for a time period of 5 years and are automatically extendable for further successive five years at a time.
- While South Korea is yet to name its recommended organisation, India has nominated Hindustan Shipyard Ltd (HSL), Visakhapatnam for the collaboration.
World Bank approves $375 million loan for National Waterway-1
- The World Bank has approved a loan of $375 million (around Rs 2,421 crore) for capacity augmentation of National Waterway-1 (NW-1) between Haldia in West Bengal and Varanasi in Uttar Pradesh on the river Ganga under the Jal Marg Vikas Project (JMVP).
- The project would enable commercial navigation of vessels of 1,500-2,000 deadweight tonnes capacity along a 1,390-km stretch.
Uttar Pradesh to establish 40 Yoga wellness centres
- Uttar Pradesh has decided to establish 40 Yoga wellness centres in 40 districts across the state in the present financial year.
- Out of 40 centres, 23 will be set up at Ayurvedic hospitals, 12 at homeopathic and 7 at Unani hospitals and colleges.
- For setting up of wellness centres in the remaining 35 districts, the state government plans to get assistance from union government.
- The state government has also planned to start post graduate courses at Government Ayurvedic college and hospital Varanasi, Unani college Allahabad, Government Homeopathy college Allahabad and TT college Lucknow.
- Besides, a first herbal garden of the state would be set up soon near the Government national Homeopathic college and hospital, Lucknow to encourage the farmers to cultivate herbal plants across the state.
Govt approves Guidelines on service charge
- Ministry of Food and Consumer Affairs has approved the ‘Guidelines on Fair Trade Practices Related to Charging of Service Charge from Consumers by Hotels and Restaurants’.
- As a part of the guidelines which has been issued in public interest to protect the rights of consumers, the government has said that Service charge on hotel and restaurant bills is “totally voluntary”, adding that mandatory levy of service charge amounts to unfair trade practice.
- As per the guidelines, Hotels and restaurants cannot decide on service charge and the column of service charge will be left blank in the bill for the customers to fill up before making payment.
Cuba and Morocco re-establish diplomatic ties after 37 years
- Guided by the mutual will to develop friendly relations, Cuba and Morocco has signed an agreement to re-establish diplomatic ties after a time period of 37 years.
- The two governments have also agreed to forge political, economic and cultural cooperation.
- The agreement to this effect was signed at the headquarters of the Permanent Mission of Cuba to the United Nations.
China’s first cargo spacecraft successfully docks with the Tiangong-2 space lab
- China has successfully docked its first cargo spacecraft Tianzhou-1 with the Tiangong-2 space lab.
- It is hailed as a major step towards China’s ambition of establishing a permanently manned space station by 2022.
- China has an ambitious plan of building a permanent space station by 2022, that will be in the orbit for at least 10 years.
- Tiangong-2 (Heavenly Palace 2) space lab was home to two astronauts for a month in last October. T It was China’s longest-ever manned space mission.
- Tiangong-2 was put up into space on September 15, 2016.
- Tianzhou-1 is a tube-like craft which is capable of carrying 6 tonnes of goods, 2 tonnes of fuel and can fly unmanned for three months.
- It is considered that the cargo spacecraft has provided an important technological basis for building a space station.