English Miscellany for SBI PO/Clerk/Dena Bank
Directions (Q. 1-5): Read each sentence to find out whether there is any grammatical or idiomatic error in it. The error, if any, will be in one part of the sentence. The number of that part is the answer. If there is ‘No error’, the answer is 5). (Ignore errors of punctuation, if any.)
- 1) Imagine, if Pakistan and India have been together / 2) the Taliban would have spread / 3) its poison / 4) all across India. / 5) No error
- 1) When a nation starts to descend into a crisis / 2) the satire and the ironic humour / 3) of its hapless citizenry / 4) begins to blossom. / 5) No error
- 1) Syed Abdul Karim Tunda is thought to be the mastermind / 2) behind several bomb incidents in various Indian cities / 3) including a failed attempt in New Delhi / 4) during the 2010 Commonwealth Games. / 5) No error
- 1) Challenged by the leader of opposition in the Rajya Sabha / 2) to explain the current economic crisis / 3) the Prime Minister broke his vow of silence to say / 4) there was no need to become panic. / 5) No error
- 1) A federal court in New York has issued summon / 2) to Congress president Sonia Gandhi for “shielding and protecting” leaders / 3) of her party who were allegedly involved / 4) in the anti-Sikh riots in India in 1984. / 5) No error
Directions (Q. 6-10): Each question below has two blanks, each blank indicating that something has been omitted. Find out which option can be used to fill up the blanks in the sentence in the same sequence to make it meaningfully complete.
- Yasin Bhatkal, who was wanted in over two dozen terror cases ________ India and had dodged security agencies on several ________, was arrested in Raxaul on the India-Nepal border.
1) of, months
2) around, years
3) in, times
4) across, occasions
5) within, places
- The Lok Sabha passed the land ________ Bill, even as parties expressed ________ on aspects of the legislation.
1) requisition, resentment
2) acquisition, reservations
3) requirement, anger
4) distribution, dissatisfaction
5) procurement, disappointment
- Asaram, the self-styled godman, ________ that Congress leaders Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi were behind ________ him in the sexual assault case.
1) claimed, tarnishing
2) insulted, arresting
3) alleged, confining
4) asked, accusing
5) insinuated, framing
- The government in UP has ________ praise for its handling of the VHP’s plan for a Parikarma ________ Ayodhya.
1) received, around
2) achieved, of
3) exclaimed, in
4) claimed, surrounding
5) obtained, round
- The government and the BSP entered into a fresh_____ after the Rajya Sabha passed a government _______ for appointment of two members in the JPC on 2G spectrum.
1) violence, legislation
2) scuffle, law
3) confrontation, motion
4) argument, move
5) discussion, ruling
- 1; Replace ‘have’ with ‘had’
- 4; Replace ‘begins’ with ‘begin’
- 2; Replace ‘bomb’ with ‘bombing’
- 4; Delete ‘become’
- 1; Replace ‘summon’ with ‘summons’