GA- 10 & 11 Feb 2018
Feb 11: National Unani Day
- The National Unani Day (NUD) is celebrated every year across India on Feb 11 to mark the birth anniversary of great Unani researcher Haqim Ajmal Khan.
- 2018 theme: “Integration of Unani System of Medicine in main stream healthcare”.
- Haqim Ajmal Khan was an eminent Indian Unani physician who was versatile genius, freedom fighter, educationist and founder of scientific research in Unani Medicine.
- Year-2018 is 150th Birth Anniversary of Hakim Ajmal Khan.
- The Central Council for Research in Unani Medicine (CCRUM), under the Ministry of AYUSH, has organized the 2018 International Conference on Unani Medicine in New Delhi.
Feb 10: National Deworming Day
- The National Deworming Day is observed every year across India on Feb 10 to combat parasitic worm infections among preschool and school-age children across India.
- This year is the fourth edition of the observance of this day after it was launched in 2015 by the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW).
- The major goal of the campaign is to deworm all the school going children (preschool and school) between the ages of 1-19 years in order to improve their overall health, cognitive development, nutritional status and quality of life.
- On this day, Albendazole tablets are given to all targeted children.
- Dosage of half tablet to 1-2 years children and one full tablet for 2-19 years is given.
Govt to establish National Women Entrepreneurship Council (NWEC)
- The Union Ministry of Women and Child Development is planing to establish National Women Entrepreneurship Council (NWEC).
- NWEC will be umbrella organization for socio-economic gender parity, financial inclusion and economic empowerment of women in India and to promote entrepreneurship among women.
- It will advice govt on issues related to entrepreneurship in women as current business chambers are largely “male-dominated”.
- India ranked 49 among 54 economies globally with overall low score of 41.7 points in the Mastercard Index of Women Entrepreneurs.
Govt launches National Deworming initiative
- The Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) has launched National Deworming Initiative on the occasion of National Deworming Day (observed on Feb 10).
- It aims to reach more than 32.2 crore children aged between 1 to 19 years to combat parasitic worm infections.
- It aims to conduct mass deworming program to mobilize health personnel, state govts and other stakeholders to prioritize investment in control of Soil Transmitted Helminth (STH) infections.
Govt launches ASH TRACK mobile app
- The Minister of State (IC) for Power and New & Renewable Energy R.K Singh has launched Web based monitoring System and Fly Ash mobile application named ASH TRACK in New Delhi.
- ASH TRACK will enable better management of fly ash produced by thermal power plants by providing interface between ash producers (thermal power plants) and potential ash users such as, cement plants, road contractors etc.
- The app shows coal based power plants situated within radius of 100 km and 300 km from a given location.
- Users are able to select power station from where he wants to take fly ash.
National Micro Drama Festival (NMDF-2018) held in New Delhi
- The second edition of Thespis 2 – National Micro Drama Festival (NMDF-2018), organised by Delhi-based theatre group ‘Vriksh the Theatre’, held at Kamani Auditorium in New Delhi.
- The festival is named after ‘Thespis of Icaria’, who lived in the 6th Century BC and was the first Actor ever appeared on stage to perform alone.
4th Nepal Buildcon and Wood International Expo 2018 held at Kathmandu
- The 4th Nepal Buildcon and Wood International Expo 2018 has been inaugurated by Deputy Prime Minister of Nepal Kamal Thapa at Kathmandu.
- The Indian Ambassador to Nepal, Manjeev Singh Puri graced the event as guest of honour.
- The 3 day expo aims to provide a single platform to architects, engineers, builders, construction material suppliers, interior decorators, furniture, lighting, heavy machine and equipment manufacturers and other stake holders.
2018 International Conference on Unani Medicine inaugurated in New Delhi
- The 2018 International Conference on Unani Medicine has been inaugurated by Dr Jitendra Singh (the Union Minister of Development of North-East Region) with the theme “Integration of Unani System of Medicine in Mainstream Healthcare” in New Delhi.
- The 2-day conference aims to promote integration of Unani Medicine in mainstream healthcare across the globe.
- National Unani Day is celebrated on Feb 11 and this year is special for Unani fraternity as it is the 150th Birth Anniversary of Hakim Ajmal Khan.
Govt approves construction of over 1.86 lakh more houses
- The Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs at its 30th meeting of the Central Sanctioning and Monitoring Committee has approved the construction of 1,86,777 more affordable houses under its flagship programme, Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban).
- With this approval, the total number of houses approved under PMAY increased to over 39.25 lakh.
- It is entailed investment of Rs 11,169 crore with central assistance of Rs 2,797 crore.
- Haryana has been sanctioned maximum number of 53,290 houses in this round of approval, followed by Tamil Nadu (40,623 houses in this round of approval, followed by Tamil Nadu (40,623 houses), Karnataka (32,656), Gujarat (15,584), Maharashtra (12,123), Kerala (9,461), Uttarakhand (6,226) and Orissa (5,133).
- Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (U), new version of Prime Minister’s Housing For All by 2022 vision, provides houses to all poor in urban areas by 2022.
- The purpose of the PMAY (U) is to construct two crore houses across nation.
India Health Fund to boost research on TB, malaria
- The India Health Fund (IHF), launched by Tata Trusts in collaboration with Global Fund in Aug 2016, has come forward to financially support innovations and technologies designed to combat tuberculosis (TB) and malaria.
- The initiative is aimed to support new products and strategies that impact entire lifecycle of malaria and TB, from prevention to post-cure recovery.
- The IHF initiative is not a fellowship programme to do research from scratch.
- It is long-term exercise aligned with country’s goal of eliminating TB by 2025 and malaria by 2030.
- The initiative will promote innovative solutions such that they are widely accessible and are affordable.
India, Palestine ink six agreements
- India and Palestine have inked six Memoranda of Understanding (MoUs) in different areas including health and education.
- The MoUs were signed after bilateral talks between PM Narendra Modi and Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas at Ramallah, capital of Palestine.
- PM Modi becomes the first Indian Prime Minister to visit Palestine.
- MoU for setting up of India-Palestine Super-specialty hospital at Beit Sahour in Bethelhem Governorate.
- MoU for construction of Turathi: India Palestine Centre for Empowring women.
- MoU for setting up of new National Printing Press at Ramallah.
- MoU for Construction of school in Muthalth Al Shuhada Village.
- MOU for construction of school in Tamoon village in Tubas Governorate.
- MoU for providing assistance for construction of additional floor to Jawahar Lal Nehru for Boys at Abu Dees.
CCI fines Rs.136 crore on Google
- The Competition Commission of India (CCI) imposed Rs.136 cr fine on world’s most popular search engine, Google for unfair business practices in Indian market for online search.
- The penalty was imposed on Google for infringing anti-trust conduct.
- Google was found to be indulged in practices of search bias and by doing so it has caused harm to its competitors as well as to users.
- Google was leveraging its dominance in market for online general web search, to strengthen its position in market for online syndicate search service.
- The penalty amount imposed translates to 5% of company’s average total revenue generated from India operations from its different business segments for financial years 2013, 2014 and 2015.
India ranks 44 in Intellectual Property Index
- India ranked 44 out of 50 countries in the Intellectual Property (IP) Index released by US Chamber of Commerce.
- The index was released as part of annual report prepared by the Global Innovation Policy Center (GIPC) of the US Chambers of Commerce.
- The US topped the list with total of 37.98 points, followed by United Kingdom (37.97) and Sweden (37.03).
- India has increased its score substantially from 25% (8.75 out of 35) in previous year to 30% (12.03 out of 40) in latest edition.
- India was ranked 43 out of 45 countries in 2017 index, with an overall score if 8.4 points.
Integrated Automatic Aviation Meteorological Systems inaugurated at INS Garuda
- The Indian Navy has unveiled the Integrated Automatic Aviation Meteorological System (IAAMS) at INS Garuda, naval air station located in Kochi, Kerala.
- It is overall fourth air station installed with this integrated system.
- It is an ambitious project of Indian Navy which aims to modernise Meteorological infrastructure of 9 Naval Air Stations (NAS).
- It is expected to bring accuracy in weather monitoring mechanism in the Indian Navy.
- Installation of the system at remaining 5 stations and is expected to be completed by March 2019.
Prince Charles launches education impact bond for India
- Britain’s Prince Charles launched a new 10-million-dollar Development Impact Bond (DIB) to help improve education for over 200,000 children in India.
- The Development Impact Bond is the largest bond of its type in South Asia.
- The fundraising initiative by British Asian Trust (BAT) set up by royal 10 years ago to fight poverty in South Asia.
- The DIB was announced on occasion of celebration of 10th anniversary of BAT.
- It aims to improve literacy and numeracy learning levels for primary school students from marginalised communities in country.
South Central Railway becomes 1st railway zone to complete 100% LED lighting
- The South Central Railway (SCR) becomes the first railway zone in India to complete 100% LED lighting at all the 733 stations under its jurisdiction.
- The provision of LED lighting is expected to save 32 lakh units of electrical energy worth Rs 2.7 crore per year.
China puts stealth fighter into combat service
- China has become the second country in the world as China’s People’s Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF) commissioned its domestically developed new generation J-20 fourth-generation stealth fighter into combat service.
- Earlier United States has domestically developed stealth aircraft.
- J-20, developed by China’s Chengdu Aerospace Corporation for PLAAF, is China’s fourth-generation medium and long-range fighter jet.
Scientists for first time grow human eggs
- Scientists from Britain and United States for the first time have succeeded in growing human eggs in laboratory outside the human body from their earliest stage in ovarian tissue to full maturity.
- Scientists had developed mouse eggs in laboratory to stage where they produced live offspring, and also matured human eggs from a relatively late stage of development.
PM Narendra Modi conferred with ‘Grand Collar of the State of Palestine’
- President Mahmoud Abbas has conferred ‘Grand Collar of the State of Palestine’ on Prime Minister Narendra for his key contribution to promote relations between India and Palestine.
- PM Modi is the first Indian Prime Minister to make an official visit to Palestine.
- The Grand Collar is the highest order given to foreign dignitaries – Kings, Heads of State/Government and persons of similar rank.
- It has in the past been awarded to King Salman of Saudi Arabia, King Hamad of Bahrain, President Xi Jinping of China, amongst others.
Kerala tops overall health performance in the Health Index
- Kerala topped the list of larger states on overall health performance in the Health Index report released by Niti Aayog while Uttar Pradesh appeared at the bottom among larger states in terms of overall performance.
- As per the index “Healthy States, Progressive India’ report for large states, Kerala was followed by Punjab, Tamil Nadu and Gujarat.
- Besides Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Bihar and Odisha are among the states that performed poorly in the health index.
- Among small states, Mizoram ranked first, followed by Manipur and Goa in terms of annual incremental performance.
- The Health Index will act as a tool to leverage cooperative and competitive federalism, accelerating the pace of achieving health outcomes.
- It has been evolved through comprehensive study and inputs from World Bank India and Ministry of Health.
Hardayal Prasad appointed as new MD & CEO of SBI Card
- Hardayal Prasad appointed as the new Managing Director & CEO of the SBI Card with effect from Feb 1, 2018.
- He succeeded Vijay Jasuja, who retired on January 31, 2018.
Abhilasha Kumari sworn in as first woman Chief Justice of Manipur HC
- Abhilasha Kumari has been sworn in as the first woman Chief Justice of the Manipur High Court.
- She was administered oath of office by Governor Najma Heptulla at the Raj Bhavan.
- She became first women and third full-time Chief Justice of Manipur High Court.
Biswamohan Mahapatra appointed as non-executive chairman of NPCI
- Biswamohan Mahapatra appointed as non-executive chairman of the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) for a period of two years.
- He succeeded B Sambamurthy, who was the interim chairman of the NPCI board.
- Dilip Asbe is the Managing Director & CEO of the NPCI.
Justice Antony Dominic sworn-in as the new Chief Justice of Kerala
- Justice Antony Dominic has been sworn-in as the new Chief Justice of Kerala.
- Kerala Governor P. Sadasivam administered the Oath of Office to him in Thiruvanthapuram.
Indra Nooyi appointed first independent female director of ICC Board
- The PepsiCo Chairman and CEO, Indra Nooyi has been appointed as the first independent female director of the International Cricket Council (ICC) Board.
- She will join the Board in June 2018 to align with the term of the ICC Independent Chairman.
- The Independent Director will be appointed for a two-year term although she may be re-appointed for two further terms with a maximum six-year consecutive period of service.
T.D. Ramakrishnan selected for Akbar Kakkattil Award 2018
- Writer T.D. Ramakrishnan has been selected for 2nd edition of Akbar Kakkattil Award 2018 for his novel “Sugandhi Enna Andaldevanayaki”.
- Filmmaker Adoor Gopalakrishnan will present the award comprising a purse of Rs 50,000, a citation and a memento to Mr. Ramakrishnan at a function to be held in Kozhikode on Feb 17, 2018.
Former speaker of Karnataka legislative assembly, B.G.Banakar passed away
- The former speaker of Karnataka legislative assembly, B.G. Banakar has passed away at the age of 91 in Haveri district, Karnataka.
- He was elected thrice to the Legislative Assembly and was Minister for Animal Husbandry in the Devaraj Urs Cabinet.
- He served as Speaker of the Assembly for four years from 1985 to 1989.
Chandrasekhar Rath, the doyen of Odia literature, passed away
- The doyen of Odia literature, Chandrasekhar Rath passed away in Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
- The writer was nominated for the prestigious Padma Shri award this year.