General Awareness section is very relevant for all the examinations. So, we at Bsc4success try to provide some important General Awareness on the daily basis, which will certainly help you in scoring good marks in General Awareness section.
GA- 11 Jun 2018
Mauritius to host 11th World Hindi Conference
- Mauritius will host the 11th World Hindi Conference (विश्व हिंदी सम्मेलन) in its capital city Port Lois from Aug 18-20, 2018.
- It will be organised by Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), Govt of India in association with Govt of Mauritius.
- The theme will be “Vaishvik Hindi Aur Bharatiy Sanskriti”.
- It aimed at providing common platform to several Hindi scholars, writers and laureates from different parts of the world to contribute the language.
- Its venue will be Swami Vivekanand International Convention Centre, Pailles Mauritius.
Mehta committee to examine the possibility of setting up an ARC
- The Union finance ministry has set up a committee, headed by Sunil Mehta, to examine the possibility of setting up an Asset Reconstruction Company (ARC) or an Asset Management Company (AMC) to fast track resolution of stressed assets.
- He is the non-executive chiarman of Punjab National Bank.
- The Committee will consider whether such an arrangement will be good for the banking system.
- If it is considered advisable, the Committee will also consider the modalities by which such an ARC / AMC should be set up.
- The committee will submit its report in two weeks.
India’s first indigenous Lithium Ion Battery project
- The Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR) lab has signed a Memorandum of Agreement (MoA) with RAASI Solar Power Pvt Ltd for transfer of technology for India’s first Lithium Ion (Li-ion) Battery project.
- It was signed by CSIR’s Central Electro Chemical Research Institute (CECRI), Karaikudi, Tamil Nadu.
- CSIR-CECRI has developed indigenous technology of Lithium-ion cells in partnership with other sister CSIR labs.
- The indigenous Lithium-ion cells technology has potential to enable cost reduction, coupled with appropriate supply chain and manufacturing technology for mass production.
Govt launches Rail Madad app
- The Union Ministry of Railways has launched Rail MADAD (Mobile Application for Desired Assistance During travel) Application to expedite and streamline passenger grievance redressal.
- Rail Madad app was launched inline with Union Govt’s Digital India Initative.
- The app for the first time completely digitized the Complaint management system.
- It integrates RPGRAMS (Railway Passenger Grievance Redressal and Management System) developed by Northern Railway (Delhi Division).
- It registers complaint of passengers with minimum inputs.
- The action taken on complaint is also relayed to passenger through SMS.
- It also displays various helpline numbers (e.g., Security, Child helpline etc) and provides direct calling facility for immediate assistance in one easy step.
2nd India-US colloquium on Earth Observations & Sciences for Society, Economy inaugurated
- The second edition India-US colloquium on Earth Observations and Sciences for Society and Economy inaugurated at CSIR-National Institute of Oceanography (CSIR-NIO), Dona Paula, Goa.
- It is being organised by the Ministry of Earth Sciences, CSIR (Council of Scientific and Industrial Research)-NIO and US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).
- It will help both countries to improve ocean and atmosphere observations that contribute to economic well-being of both nations through better weather, climate, and ocean prediction, as well as fisheries management.
Kerala lifts high alert issued in the wake of Nipah virus
- Kerala Govt has lifted high alert issued in the wake of outbreak of deadly Nipah virus in May 2018 in northern Kozhikode and Malappuram districts of state that has so far claimed 17 lives.
- The outbreak of Nipah virus has been brought under control and its spread checked as no positive case has been reported.
- It has also announced to reopen educational institutions, schools and professional colleges, which was postponed due to the virus outbreak.
- Nipah virus (NiV) infection is zoonotic disease (disease transmitted to humans from animals) that causes severe disease in both animals and humans.
- The organism which causes Nipah Virus encephalitis is RNA or Ribonucleic acid virus of family Paramyxoviridae, genus Henipavirus, and is closely related to Hendra virus.
WHO commends India for reducing MMR by 77%
- The World Health Organisation (WHO) commended India’s progress in reducing maternal mortality ratio (MMR) by 77%, from 556 per 10000 live births in 1990 to 130 per 10000 live births in 2016.
- This progress puts India on track towards achieving Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) target of MMR below 70 by 2030.
- India’s present MMR is below Millennium Development Goal (MDG) target.
- Proportion of institutional deliveries in public facilities has almost tripled, from 18% in 2005 to 52% in 2016 (including private facilities, institutional deliveries).
- State-subsidised demand-side financing like Janani Shishu Suraksha Karyakram (JSSK) has largely closed urban-rural divide traditionally seen in institutional births.
- JSSK also allows all pregnant women delivering in public health institutions free transport andno-expense delivery, including caesarian section.
Sharad Kumar appointed vigilance commissioner in CVC
- President Ram Nath Kovind has appointed former National Investigation Agency (NIA) chief Sharad Kumar as vigilance commissioner in Central Vigilance Commission (CVC).
- He will have tenure of four years or till he attains the age of 65.
- CVC is an apex probity watchdog of Union Govt formed to address governmental corruption.
- It was set up by Central Govt in Feb 1964 on the recommendations of K. Santhanam Committee on Prevention of Corruption.
Arvind Saxena appointed as acting Chairman of UPSC
- The Union Govt has appointed Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) member Arvind Saxena as the acting Chairman of the commission.
- He will act as UPSC’s Chairman with effect from Jun 20, 2018 till further orders or till completion of his tenure in Aug, 2020.
- He will take over charge from incumbent Vinay Mittal who completes his term.
Sunil Chhetri becomes joint second highest international goal scorer
- India’s football team captain Sunil Chhetri has become joint second highest international goal scorer among active players along with Argentine superstar footballer Lionel Messi.
- He achieved this feat after he scored his 64th goal in match between India and Kenya in Intercontinental Cup summit clash in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
Simona Halep wins 2018 French Open
- Simona Halep from Romania has won her first Grand Slam at the 2018 French Open tennis tournament in Paris.
- She defeated Sloane Stephens 3-6, 6-4, 6-1 in a gruelling French Open final to won the title.
Anu Kumar claims gold at the 2018 Asian Junior Athletics Championships
- Middle distance runner Anu Kumar has claimed gold in the men’s 800m at the 2018 Asian Junior Athletics Championships in Gifu, Japan.
- Arpandeep Kaur Bajwa grabbed a bronze in the women’s discus throw.
- Earlier, Ashish Jakhar created a new National U-20 record to clinch the gold with a hammer throw of 76.86 and Damneet bagged the silver with a best throw of 74.08.
- Beside them, Triple jumper Priyadarshini Suresh and long distance runner Poonam Sonune bagged bronze medals in women’s events.
- With this, India’s medals tally goes to 3 gold, one silver and nine bronze medals in the tournament.
New Zealand women’s cricket team posted the highest-ever total in ODI
- New Zealand women’s cricket team has posted the highest-ever total of 490-4 against Ireland in One-Day International (ODI) cricket in Dublin.
- New Zealand skipper Suzie bates top-scored with 151 off 94 balls.
- The total posted by the New Zealand women’s cricket team is the highest ever in ODIs including men’s matches.
- In men’s cricket, the highest total in ODI is 444-3, made by England against Pakistan in Aug 2016 at Nottingham.
Kandaala Subrahmanya Tilak passes away
- The noted freedom fighter and member of the first Lok Sabha, Kandaala Subrahmanya Tilak has passed away in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh aged 98.
- He, who took part in India’s freedom struggle including the Salt Satyagraha, was elected to the first Lok Sabha in 1952 from Vizianagaram constituency from Socialist Party of India.
Maria Bueno passes away
- The legendary Brazilian tennis player, Maria Bueno has passed away in Sao Paulo at the age of 78.
- She won three Wimbledon and four US championship singles titles.
Laliteshwar Prasad Shahi passes away
- The senior Congress leader and former Union minister, Laliteshwar Prasad Shahi has passed away in New Delhi aged 98.
- He, who hailed from Bihar, was a freedom fighter and a former CWC member.