GA- 12 & 13 Nov 2017
Nov 12: World Pneumonia Day
- The World Pneumonia Day is observed globally every year on Nov 12 to generate awareness about the ‘pneumonia’ disease.
- It aims to highlight the severity of pneumonia and bring together the people from all over the world to promote the prevention and treatment of the disease.
- It raises awareness about pneumonia, the world’s leading killer of children under the age of five.
- Pneumonia is one of the most solvable problems in global health and yet a child dies from the infection every 20 seconds.
Fourth India-Canada Annual Ministerial Dialogue held in New Delhi
- The fourth India-Canada Annual Ministerial Dialogue held in New Delhi.
- The Indian delegation is led by the Commerce and Industry Minister Suresh Prabhu and the Canadian International Trade Minister, François-Philippe Champagne leads the Canadian delegation.
- It aims to work towards the expeditious conclusion of the Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement for a progressive, balanced, and mutually beneficial agreement covering both goods and services.
Karnataka inks pacts with Chinese firms
- Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah inaugurated the sixth China-India Forum meet being jointly hosted by the Government of China, Chinese People’s Association for Friendship with Foreign Countries (CPAFFC), China-India Friendship Association (CIFA), and Podar Enterprise.
- MoUs were signed at the Forum:
- Semiconductor Alliance of China and Beijing Construction & Highway Development Group presented EoI letters to the Karnataka government.
- Podar Enterprise signed strategic cooperation MoU with Hebei Provincial Government.
- Podar Advisory and Consulting Enterprise signed tri-party MoU of cooperation with Baoding City Government and Hebei Information Investment Group.
- Fortune Plus, China, signed MoU for setting up electric vehicle hub with Imperator Autocorp Pvt Ltd.
- Podar Holding International Pte Ltd signed MoU for cooperation in education with Yigcal University, Shandong.
India’s first cartoon network theme park to come up in Surat
- Broadcaster Turner International India and Gujarat-based Rajgreen Group have entered into a brand partnership to set up India’s first Cartoon Network branded amusement park “Amaazia” in Surat, Gujarat.
- The park is expected to be operational by the first quarter of 2019 on a budget of Rs 450 crore.
- It will spread across an area of 61,000 sq m.
- It will be divided into four major sections – a theme park branded by Cartoon Network, a water park, a family recreational hub and a service apartment and retail shopping area.
Varanasi Tops The List of Country’s Most Polluted City
- According to the report by the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB), the air quality of holy city Varanasi is most polluted among the 42 cities monitored recently.
- Varanasi’s Air Quality Index (AQI) was at an alarming 491, followed by Gurugram at 480, Delhi at 468, Lucknow at 462 and Kanpur at 461.
- Notably, pollution level is categorized as ‘severe’ when the AQI ranges between 401 and 500.
- The concentration of PM2.5, the prominent pollutant, was more than eight times the safe limit of 60 micrograms per cubic metre of air.
- The fine particulate matter, known as an invisible killer, has a diameter of less than 2.5 micrometers, 3% the diameter of a human hair.
India Sixth Most Vulnerable Country Facing Extreme Weather Events
- India is the sixth most vulnerable country in the world in terms of facing extreme weather events with Haiti, Zimbabwe, Fiji, Sri Lanka and Vietnam taking top five positions in the fresh list of nations facing climate risk.
- The ranking was released by the Germanwatch, an independent Berlin-based development and environmental organisation, in its latest global climate risk index (CRI).
- The Index put the United States (US) at 10th position with Chinese Taipei, Macedonia and Bolivia being the other three vulnerable countries in the list of top ten.
- The Germanwatch comes out with the CRI by analysing number of deaths per 1,00,000 inhabitants, extent of financial losses and loss per unit of Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of countries.
- India was at number four in terms of CRI ranking last year.
PNB MetLife in distribution pact with Bank of Bahrain and Kuwait
- Life insurer PNB MetLife has signed a corporate agency agreement with Bank of Bahrain and Kuwait B.S.C (BBK).
- The tie-up will help PNB MetLife distribute its retail and group products to BBK’s customers in India.
- With this partnership, BBK customers in India will get access to PNB MetLife’s entire portfolio of products ranging from health, savings, and wealth to rural plans.
- BBK, which is one of the largest commercial banks in Bahrain, has branches at Mumbai, Hyderabad, Aluva and New Delhi.
- Bancassurance is an arrangement by which a bank and an insurance company partner to enable the insurer sell its products to the bank’s client base.
Union Cabinet approves National Rural Drinking Water Programme
- The Union Cabinet approved continuation and restructuring of National Rural Drinking Water Programme (NRDWP).
- The programme will cover all the Rural Population across the country.
- NRDWP will be continued co-terminus with 14th Finance Commission cycle till March 2020.
- It will enable the country to reach the goal of increasing coverage of sustainable Piped Water Supply.
- A sum of Rs. 23,050 crore has been approved for the programme.
1.5 MW Small Hydro Power Plant commissioned
- The Union New and Renewable Energy Ministry has commissioned 1.5 MW Small Hydro Power (SHP) Plant in Biaras Drass, Kargil Jammu & Kashmir.
- The total cost of the project is Rs. 17 crores,which is fully funded by the Ministry of New & Renewable Energy.
- It is the first project to be commissioned under the Prime Minister’s Ladakh Renewable Energy Initiative (LREI).
- The project has been developed by Kargil Renewable Energy Development Agency (KREDA) under Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council.
APEC summit held in Vietnam
- The Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit was held in Da Nang, Vietnam with the theme ‘Creating New Dynamism, Fostering a Shared Future’.
- The leaders of 21 Pacific Rim countries attended this meeting.
- India is observer of APEC since 2011.
- This was second time Vietnam hosted APEC summit, having hosted the event previously in 2006.
- The next year’s APEC summit will be held in Papua New Guinea.
- It promotes free trade throughout the Asia-Pacific region.
- 21 member countries collectively account for nearly 50% of world’s trade and about 57% of GDP.
- 21 Members countries are Australia, Brunei, Canada, Indonesia, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, United States, Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, Mexico, Papua New Guinea, Chile, Peru, Russian and Vietnam.
Urdu declared the second official language in Telangana
- Urdu was declared second official language in Telangana.
- Telugu is the official language in Telangana.
- It was announced by Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrashekhar Rao in the state Assembly.
- Every office in the state will now have an Urdu speaking officer.
- Apart from this, all competitive examinations in the state will also be conducted in Urdu.
Bhaskar Ganguly appointed AIFF ombudsman by Supreme Court
- The Supreme Court had appointed former football captain Bhaskar Ganguly as All India Football Federation (AIFF) ombudsman.
- The apex court also appointed S Y Quraishi, former Chief Election Commissioner of India, who has also served as Secretary in the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Government of India as the ombudsmen to formulate the AIFF Constitution within eight weeks.
Bharat Khandare becomes first Indian fighter to sign for UFC
- Bharat Khandare has become the first Indian-born fighter to sign with the UFC.
- The UFC’s aim to take MMA to all parts of the world is well and truly underway and now India can to be added to the list.
- The UFC India welcomed Brave Combat Federation bantamweight fighter Bharat Khandare to the organisation.
- Khandare will make his debut at UFC Fight Nightin Shanghai on November 25th.
Pankaj Advani wins IBSF World Billiards Championship
- Ace Indian cueist Pankaj Advani won 2017 IBSF World Billiards Championship held at Doha.
- Advani clinched his 17th world title after thrashing his arch-rival Mike Russell of England 6-2 to defend the 150-up format title which he won in Bengaluru last year.
- He is the winner of maximum number of world titles in any sport by an Indian.
Former Nepal PM Kirti Nidhi Bista passes away
- Former Prime Minister of Nepal Kirti Nidhi Bista passed away at Kathmandu. He was 90 and suffering from cancer.
- He first became Prime Minister of Nepal in 1969.
- Bista served three times as Prime Minister from 1969 to 1970, 1971 to 1973 and 1977 to 1979.