General Awareness section is very relevant for all the examinations. So, we at Bsc4success try to provide some important General Awareness on the daily basis, which will certainly help you in scoring good marks in General Awareness section.
GA- 12 Jun 2018
India to host first BIMSTEC military exercise
- India will host the first military exercise of BIMSTEC (Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation) countries in Sept 2018 in Pune, Maharashtra.
- The theme of the exercise includes counter-terrorism in semi-urban terrain and cordon and search.
- It aims to promote strategic alignment among the member-states and to share best practices in the area of counter-terrorism.
- As part of this exercise, a conclave of Army chiefs of all seven member-states is being planned.
- BIMSTEC countries had held disaster management exercise in 2017 in New Delhi, but this will be first military exercise of the grouping.
- BIMSTEC, headquartered in Dhaka, Bangladesh, is the sub-regional group of seven countries in South Asia and South East Asia lying in littoral and adjacent areas of Bay of Bengal constituting contiguous regional unity.
- India, Nepal, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Sri Lanka from South Asia and Myanmar, Thailand from South East Asia are the member countries of BIMSTEC.
IRCTC inks MoU with CSC for delivery of rail tickets
- Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) has signed an MoU with the Common Service Centres (CSCs) Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) for delivery of railway services through CSC centres.
- It will allow CSCs to work as IRCTC agents for train ticket bookings.
- CSCs will now be able to book general tickets.
- Under the agreement, all 2.9 lakh CSCs spread across the country will be able to book both reserved and unreserved train tickets.
- All CSCs will be connected with technology for railway ticket booking.
- CSC is an initiative of Ministry of Electronics & IT (MeitY).
- It is strategic cornerstone of Digital India programme.
Govt launches 5000 Wi-Fi Choupals
- The Union Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeITY) has launched 5000 Wi-Fi Choupals in villages in partnership with common service centres (CSCs).
- The Choupals were jointly inaugurated by Union Electronics and IT Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad and Railway Minister Piyush Goyal in New Delhi.
- It aims to transform rural Internet connectivity through BharatNet.
- They focuses on developing rural Wi-Fi infrastructure and to host suitable applications to provide various ICT services at an affordable cost.
- Wi-Fi Choupals are in addition to broadband connectivity provided gram panchyats through optical fibre network under BharatNet.
- BharatNet is Centre’s rural internet connectivity programme which is implemented by Bharat Broadband Network Limited (BBNL).
- It is world’s largest rural broadband connectivity programme using Optical fibre.
Govt to launch Rs.500 crore credit enhancement fund
- The union govt is going to launch Rs.500 crore Credit Enhancement Fund (CEF) in Jul 2018 to facilitate infrastructure investments by insurance and pension funds.
- This fund was first announced in Union Budget for fiscal year 2016-17.
- The fund will provide credit enhancement for infrastructure projects which will help in upgrading credit ratings of bonds issued by infrastructure companies and facilitate investment from investors like pension and insurance funds.
- The initial corpus of the fund will be Rs 500 crore and will be sponsored by IIFCL (India Infrastructure Finance Company).
- It will operate as a non-banking finance company (NBFC).
- IIFCL will hold 22.5% stake in the NBFC, while Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) has been offered by the Govt to pick up 10% stake.
India’s first-ever national police museum in Delhi
- The Central govt has decided to establish the India’s first-ever national police museum, the unique facility in Lutyens’ Delhi.
- The museum – depicting the history, art facts, uniforms and gear of central and state police forces – will come up as an underground facility in the premises of the national police memorial in Chanakyapuri area of the national capital.
- As per the records, the items sought to be put in the first-ever national police museum will include brass insignia, ceremonial and operational head gears and uniforms, batons, belts, distinctive photographs of dog squads, mounted columns and old copies of the Indian Police Act.
- The museum is expected to be inaugurated on October 21 (Police Commemoration Day).
India mulls new group of 8-10 countries in WTO
- India is planning to bring together group of 8-10 member countries of World Trade Organisation (WTO) to prepare agenda for creation of conducive atmosphere to ensure smooth functioning of the global trade body.
- It would be an informal group within WTO, which may also include nations like Brazil, China, South Africa, China, Indonesia and Columbia.
- The main idea behind this group is to create proper structured agenda which will be acceptable to all countries to reduce tension.
- Its main objective is to create conducive atmosphere so that global trading system works well.
V K Singh flags off 1st batch of Kailash Mansarovar Yatra
- Minister of State for External Affairs V K Singh has flagged off the 1st batch of three month-long Kailash Mansarovar Yatra-2018 in New Delhi.
- The Yatra will continue till the Sept 08.
- There are two routes for the Yatra, one through Lipulekh Pass in Uttarakhand which involves some trekking also.
- The other route is through Nathu La Pass in Sikkim, which is motorable and suitable for senior citizens who unable to undertake arduous trekking.
- Yatra through Lipulekh Pass will be conducted in 18 batches of 60 pilgrims each.
44th edition of G7 summit 2018 held in Canada
- The 44th edition of G7 summit 2018 has been hosted by Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in Quebec on Jun 08–09.
- This was the 6th time since 1981 that Canada has hosted the meetings.
- Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte participated for the first time in the summit.
- The summit was dubbed the “G6+1” by the French govt and political commentators.
- This resulted from the United States withdrawing from the Iran Deal along with the Paris Agreement, rampant American protectionism, and fights with French President Emmanuel Macron and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
- The 45th G7 summit will be held in 2019 in Biarritz, France.
- The G7 Summit is an event conducted annually where world leaders from seven powerful economies of the world viz. US, Canada, UK, France, Germany, Japan and Italy come together to discuss burning issues happening around the globe.
India gives cheque to Nepal
- India has extended financial aid of Rs. 99 million to Nepal for the construction of 2,700 shallow tube well (STWs) irrigation systems in 12 districts of southern Terai region to boost agricultural productivity.
- It was extended as part of final payment for Nepal-Bharat Maitri Irrigation Project.
- With this payment, India has released so far released total of 227.6 million Nepali rupees to Nepal for implementing this project.
- The project was launched in Jan 2017 to boost growth to Himalayan nation’s agricultural sector through enhanced facilities.
Bangladesh women’s team won the Asia Cup Twenty-20 tournament
- Bangladesh Women’s cricket team has won the Asia Cup Twenty-20 tournament by defeating India in the final by 7 wickets at Kuala Lumpur.
- India have won six titles since the tournament’s inception in 2004, while for Bangladesh, this was their first title.
India’s football national team lifts 2018 Intercontinental Cup football title
- India’s football team has lifted the 2018 Intercontinental Cup football title by defeating Kenya by 2-0 in Mumbai.
- Both the goals were netted by skipper Sunil Chhetri.
- He gave India the lead in the 8th minute before scoring the second goal in the 29th minute.
- Sunil Chhetri has become the joint second highest international goal scorer among active players along with Argentine superstar Lionel Messi with his 64th strike for the country against Kenya.
Rafael Nadal claims 11th French Open title
- A Spanish professional tennis player, Rafael Nadal has claimed his 11th French Open title.
- In the Men’s singles final in Paris, he defeated Austrian Dominic Thiem in straight sets 6-4 6-3 6-2 to win the title.
- By winning the French Open, he tied Margaret Court‘s record for singles titles at a Grand Slam event.
- It was Nadal’s 17th Grand Slam title, just three behind great rival Roger Federer.
Ronda Rousey becomes first female UFC Hall of Famer
- Ronda Rousey has become the first American woman to medal in the Olympics in judo.
- She was the first women to be signed by the UFC.
- She was the first to headline a UFC pay-per-view.
- She was the first to win a championship match.
- She was the first to sell out a major arena.
- She was the first woman in any combat sport to draw a $1 million live gate and nearly quadrupled the largest pay-per-view number for any kind of sporting event headlined by a woman.
- That was all on the same night.
Pappu Karki passes away
- The popular Kumaoni folk singer, Pappu Karki has passed away in car accident near Haidakhan in Nainital district.
- He was famous for singing Kumaoni folk.
Shantaram Laxman Naik passes away
- The veteran Goa Congress leader and former Rajya Sabha MP, Shantaram Laxman Naik has passed away in Margao aged 72.
- He was one of the tallest leaders of the Congress in Goa.
- He was elected to the Lok Sabha from the South Goa constituency in the 1984 general election.