GA- 12 Oct 2017
3rd International Conference on Yoga held in New Delhi
- The 3rd International Conference on Yoga was held in New Delhi with the theme “Yoga for Wellness”.
- Ministry of AYUSH organized the 2-day conference as part of yearlong events organized to celebrate 21st June as International Day of Yoga.
- The conference held seven technical sessions and panel discussion on different aspects of Yoga and Wellness including recent research trends, Integrated medicine, non-communicable diseases, mental health, women health, cancer, pain management and policy making.
- It provided common platform for AYUSH and allopathy practitioners, researchers, academicians, and policy makers and students.
SBI to set up country’s largest innovation centre at Mumbai
- The nation’s largest lender State Bank of India is creating a 15,000-sqft innovation centre in Navi Mumbai investing around Rs 100 crore.
- The centre, to be built at its Global IT Centre in Belapur in Navi Mumbai, will be the largest innovation centre by any financial services company in the country.
- It will have 40 dedicated zones for each technology like blockchain, artificial intelligence and machine learning, among others.
- The innovation centre is part of a Rs 200-crore allocation that the bank has earmarked for innovation last year.
- Apart from the proposed innovation centre, Rs 50 crore is allocated for procurements from innovative startups and taking equity stakes in new companies, while the remaining Rs 50 crore is for other needs like software procurements etc.
- The bank chain has partnered with a Pune-based startup called Primechain for the initiative.
India is second largest market for pharma, biotech workforce
- India has emerged as the second largest market for the pharmaceuticals and biotechnology industry with 13.7 per cent contribution to the workforce.
- This report has been reveled by professional networking giant LinkedIn.
- The report, detailed in the newly released e-book “The Indian Pharma and Biotech Industry”.
- The pharma and biotech professionals studied in this report were selected based on LinkedIn’s 500+ million-member data as of September 2017.
- LinkedIn analysed key platform engagement metrics and indices over the last year to map talent availability, migration, mobility and behaviour trends.
LG India ties up with Bajaj Finserv to launch co-branded card
- Consumer Electronics major LG Electronics India announced the launch of an exclusive OEM co-branded card in partnership with Bajaj Finserv.
- The co-branded card will enable customers to buy all LG products at no-cost EMI option across all LG formats.
- It will be available to customers buying LG products on a minimum invoice amount of ₹7,000 and maximum of up to ₹2 lakh.
HSBC launches app to track trade transactions
- HSBC announced the launch of mobile app – Trade Transaction Tracker – to help customers track the status of their trade transactions on a real-time basis.
- This feature has been built into the existing HSBC net mobile application and has been launched in select countries in which HSBC operates, including India.
- It will provide a global view of import and export documentary credit and collections transactions, across markets in one single app.
Digital payments to grow at 26 % CAGR during 2016-2020
- A new World Payment Report said that the initiatives of the government and the National Payments Council of India (NPCI) will help non-cash transactions grow at a compound annual growth rate of 26.2 per cent during 2016 to 2020.
- The World Payment Report 2017 was jointly commissioned by Capgemini and BNP Paribas.
- The report is about digital payments and transactions all around the world and their progress.
- India is expected to witness a six-fold growth in digital transactions to reach 25 billion transactions during 2017-18, up from 4 billion in 2015-16.
Union Cabinet approvals
Approves change of status for marine body IALA
- Cabinet approved status change of International Association of Marine Aids to Navigation and Lighthouse Authorities (IALA) from Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) to Inter-Governmental Organization (IGO).
- The move will bring IALA at par with International Maritime Organisation (IMO) and International Hydrographic Organisation (IHO).
Approves MoU between SEBI and CMA, Kuwait
- The Union Cabinet approved signing of MoU by Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) with Capital Markets Authority (CMA), Kuwait for mutual co-operation and technical assistance.
Approves MoU between SEBI and FSC
- The Union Cabinet approved signing of Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between Securities and Exchange Boaroard of India (SEBI) and Financial Services Commission (FSC), Gibraltar for mutual co-operation and technical assistance.
Approves MoC between India and Japan to establish Liquid, Flexible and Global LNG Market
- The Union Cabinet approved signing of Memorandum of Cooperation (MoC) between India and Japan on establishing a liquid, flexible and global Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) Market.
- The MoC aims to promote bilateral relationship between India and Japan in the energy sector.
Approves MoC between India and Japan on Technical Intern Training Program
- The Union Cabinet has approved signing of Memorandum of Cooperation (MoC) between India and Japan on the Technical Intern Training Program (TITP).
- The Technical Intern Training Program (TITP) is ambitious program to send Indian technical interns to Japan for onjob training for a period of three to five years.
Bihar Cabinet Approves Reservation for ‘Divyangs’ in Govt Jobs
- The Bihar Cabinet approved reservations for persons with disabilities in govt jobs and educational institutions.
- The cabinet gave its approval during a meeting presided by Chief Minister Nitish Kumar.
- The provision has been brought in accordance with the Persons With Disabilities Act, 2016.
- The cabinet also approved the establishment of a state advisory board for the empowerment of ‘Divyangjan’ as envisaged in the Act.
Govt to set up think tank for oil sector
- The Union Govt will soon get Cabinet approval for setting up of high-powered think tank under Ministry of Petroleum to look into key issues related to oil and gas sector.
- Besides, Petroleum Ministry also has send proposal to Union Cabinet for setting up domestic gas trading hub to adopt better mechanism for price discovery of both domestic as well as imported gas.
Amul named India’s best FMCG Company in food sector
- The Gujarat Co-operative Milk Marketing Federation Ltd (GCMMF), which markets Amul brand of milk and milk products was recognised as India’s best Fast Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG) Company in food sector by International Advertising Association (IAA).
- For this recognition, Amul was presented 5th IAA Leadership Award.
- The prestigious awards instituted by IAA’s India Chapter recognise excellence to wards contribution in marketing, advertising and media sectors as well as celebrate outstanding achievements of individuals and teams.
Ajay Narayan Jha is new expenditure secretary
- Ajay Narayan Jha, a senior 1982 batch officer presently serving as the environment secretary, has been appointed as the next expenditure secretary in the finance ministry.
- He will take over from Ashok Lavasa on his superannuation at end of this month.
- Health secretary CK Mishra has been shifted to the environment ministry.
- Preeti Sudan, who moves from the Department of Food and Public Distribution, has been appointed as the Health Secretary.
- Former UP chief secretary Rahul Prasad Bhatnagar has been appointed as the new secretary, sports, while the present incumbent there, Injeti Srinivas has been moved to corporate affairs as the secretary.
- IAS officer Shakuntala Gamlin, presently the chief secretary of Arunachal Pradesh, will be the new secretary of the department of empowerment.
- Ayurveda physician Vaidya Rajesh Kotecha, who was earlier appointed as special secretary in department of AYUSH, has now been appointed as secretary of the AYUSH department on a contract basis.
HSBC names retail head John Flint as next chief executive
- HSBC has appointed John Flint as its next chief executive.
- Flint, who currently runs HSBC’s retail and wealth management business, will start in his new role on February 21, 2018, taking over from current chief executive Stuart Gulliver, who is retiring after seven years in the job.
- The appointment marks the first major decision taken by the bank’s new chairman, former AIA Group chief Mark Tucker, who joined HSBC on October 1 as its first ever externally-appointed chairman.
Boxing coach Sandhu gets national award for senior citizens
- Long-serving Indian boxing coach Gurbax Singh Sandhu has been honoured with the National Awards for senior citizens by President Ramnath Kovind.
- He has the distinction of coaching both the men and women boxers.
- He was India’s longest-serving men’s national coach, occupying the position for two decades before he was handed charge of the women campers earlier this year.
- That tenure, however, ended up being a short one and he was replaced by Shiv Singh last month.
- Sandhu was the chief coach when India won its maiden Olympic medal in boxing through Vijender Singh in 2008.
Ashish Nehra announces retirement
- Veteran Indian pacer Ashish Nehra announced his retirement from all forms of cricket.
- He will play his final game against New Zealand in the first T20 of the series at his home ground of Feroz Shah Kotla in New Delhi on November 1, ending a prolific but injury-plagued career.
- The 38-year-old intimated his decision to chief coach Ravi Shastri and skipper Virat Kohli.
- India and New Zealand will lock horns in three ODIs and three Twenty20s starting October 22.
- He also confirmed that he won’t be playing in the Indian Premier League.
Gurusaidutt wins Bulgarian International
- Commonwealth Games bronze medallist RMV Gurusaidutt clinched the mens singles title at the Bulgarian International Future Series tournament.
- Gurusaidutt defeated Muhammed Ali Kurt 21-17 21-16 in a 35-minute match to boost his confidence ahead of next months Senior Nationals Championship.