GA- 13 Jun 2018
Jun 12: World Day Against Child Labour
- The World Day Against Child Labour is observed every year on Jun 12 across the world with an aim to raise awareness against child labour.
- 2018 theme: “Generation Safe & Healthy”.
- This year, a joint campaign has been launched by World Day against Child Labour (WDACL) and World Day for Safety and Health at Work (SafeDay) to improve the safety and health of young workers and end child labour.
- This campaign aims to boost initiatives to achieve Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) target 8.7 of ending all forms of child labour by 2025 and target 8.8 of safe and secure working environments for all workers by 2030.
SEBI constitutes Expert Committee to frame rules for allowing direct listing
- Market regulator, Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has constituted an expert committee to recommend suitable framework to allow direct listing of Indian companies overseas bourses while also allowing overseas companies to list directly on Indian bourses.
- It will examine economic case for permitting direct listing of Indian companies overseas and vice versa.
- It will also examine various legal, regulatory and operational constraints in facilitating companies incorporated in India to directly list their equity share capital abroad and vice versa.
- Currently, Indian companies can only use the depository receipts route – Global Depository Receipts (GDR) or American Depository Receipts (ADR) – to list on the overseas exchanges.
- Similarly, foreign companies can access Indian capital markets only through Indian Depository Receipts (IDRP) for listing of equities.
SEBI constitutes Group to review ITP framework
- Market regulator, Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) constituted Group to look into existing Institutional Trading Platform (ITP) framework and suggest measures to facilitate listing of startups.
- The members of the group include representatives from Indian Software Product Industry Round Table (iSPIRT), Indian Private Equity and Venture Capital Association (IVCA), Indus Entrepreneurs (TIE), law firms, merchant bankers and stock exchanges.
- It will look into existing ITP framework and suggest measures to facilitate listing of startups.
- The group will submit report to SEBI within period of one month i.e. by July 2018.
- ITP framework is window on stock exchanges where e-commerce, data analytics, bio-technology and other startups can list and trade on their shares.
Ten new iconic sites selected under Phase III of Swachh Iconic Places
- The Union Ministry of Drinking Water & Sanitation selected 10 more iconic sites under Phase III of Swachh Iconic Places (SIP) of Swachh Bharat Mission.
- This is the third phase of SIP.
- It was launched at Mana village which is situated close to Badrinath temple in Uttarakhand.
- Earlier, 20 iconic places selected under Phase I & II where special sanitation work is already underway.
- The 10 new iconic sites under Phase III are Raghavendra Swamy Temple (Andhra Pradesh), Hazarduari Palace (West Bengal), Brahma Sarovar Temple (Haryana), Vidur Kuti (Uttar Pradesh), Mana village (Uttarakhand), Pangong Lake (J&K), Nagvasuki Temple (UP), Ima Keithal market (Manipur), Sabarimala Temple (Kerala) and Kanvashram (Uttarakhand).
- SIP is an initiative of Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation under Swachh Bharat Mission and was launched in 2016.
- Iconic places under Phase I are Ajmer Sharif Dargah, CST Mumbai, Kamakhya Temple, Golden Temple, Maikarnika Ghat, Meenakshi Temple, Shri Mata Vaishno Devi, Jagannath Temple, Taj Mahal and Tirupati Temple.
- Swachh Iconic Places under Phase II are Gangotri, Yamunotri, Charminar, Mahakaleshwar Temple, Convent and Church of St. Francis of Assissi, Kalady, Gommateswara, BaidyanathDham, Gaya Tirth and Somnath temple.
NITI Aayog selects 3,000 more schools under AIM
- NITI Aayog has selected 3,000 additional schools for establishment of Atal Tinkering Labs (ATLs) under Atal Innovation Mission (AIM).
- This additions take number of such ATLs to 5,441 representing all states and five out of seven union territories.
- It will facilitate the creation of over one million neoteric child innovators by 2020.
- The selected schools will receive grant of Rs. 20 lakh spread over next 5 years to establish labs for nurturing innovation and entrepreneurial spirit among secondary school children across India.
- The labs will function as innovation hubs for these student innovators to explore solutions to unique local problems which they come across in their everyday lives.
- AIM is NITI Aayog’s flagship initiative to promote culture of innovation and entrepreneurship in the country.
WCD launches ‘#YogaFor9to5’
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development (WCD) launched a contest, ‘#YogaFor9to5’ focused on generating awareness regarding benefits of Yoga at Workplace for Women.
- The contest invites self-demonstration Videos & Pictures of Yoga Asanas being practiced during office hours.
- The Ministry proposes to invite entries on easy Yoga Asanas which can calm Women during her work hours.
- The deadline for the contest is June 21, 2018.
- The International Yoga Day (IYD) is celebrated globally in order to generate awareness about the benefits and life changing effects that Yoga has in our day to day lives.
India-US colloquium on Earth Observations and Sciences for Society and Economy inaugurated in Goa
- The 2nd edition of India-US colloquium on Earth Observations and Sciences for Society and Economy has been inaugurated at the CSIR-National Institute of Oceanography (CSIR-NIO), Dona Paula, Goa.
- It is being organised by the Ministry of Earth Sciences, CSIR-NIO and the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).
- It will help both countries to improve ocean and atmosphere observations that contribute to economic well-being of both nations through better weather, climate, and ocean prediction, as well as fisheries management.
Govt launches Seva Bhoj Yojna
- The Union Ministry of Culture launched Seva Bhoj Yojna, a new scheme to provide financial assistance on purchase of specific food items by Charitable Religious Institutions (CRIs) for free distribution among people.
- Under the scheme, Centre’s share of Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) charged on the raw food materials purchased by the religious institutions will be refunded.
- It aims to reimburse Central Government share of CGST and Integrated Goods and Service Tax (IGST) of Charitable Religious Institutions (CRIs) who provide food, prasad, langar (Community Kitchen), Bhandara free of cost without any discrimination to public and devotees.
- CRIs such as Temples, Gurudwara, Mosque, Church, Dharmik Ashram, Dargah, Matth, Monasteries etc. having existence for at least five years and serve free food to at least 5000 people in month are the beneficiaries under this scheme.
Assam government to launch awareness programme — Sanskar
- The Assam government is planning to launch an awareness programme, ‘Sanskar’ in all development blocks and panchayats.
- This comes in the wake of incidents triggered by superstition and ignorance including the lynching of two young artistes in Karbi Anglong district of the state.
- The Assam Science Technology and Environment Council (ASTEC) would be the nodal agency and the programme would involve all deputy commissioners, superintendents of police and all government departments concerned in a district.
President Ramnath Kovind to embark on three nation tour
- President Ram Nath Kovind will embark on three nation official tour to Greece, Suriname and Cuba from Jun 16 to 22, 2018.
- Greece will be the first leg of the visit followed by Suriname and Cuba.
- He will be accompanied by large delegation including Minister of State for Steel Vishnu Deo Sai.
Union govt constitutes Anant committee
- The Union govt has constituted a technical committee under the chairmanship of former chief statistician TCA Anant to bring in more transparency in jobs data calculation and presentation.
International Conference on ICT to be held in Kathmandu
- The International Conference on Information and Communication Technology (ICT) is going to be held in Kathmandu, capital city of Nepal from Jun 17-18, 2018 with the theme “Sustainable Development Goals for Smart Society”.
- The conference is organised by Federation of Computer Association Nepal (CAN).
- It aims to bring govt and private sector together for developing plan of action using sustainable ICT applications.
- It also seeks to unleash prospects of SMART Nepal by 2030.
India-Nepal joint military exercise concludes
- The thirteenth edition of India-Nepal joint military exercise, Surya Kiran-XIII has been concluded at Pithoragarh, Uttarakhand.
- The joint military exercise was aimed at further enhancing and strengthening level of defence cooperation between the two neighbouring nations.
- The aim of 14 days joint military exercise was to conduct battalion level joint training with emphasis on counter terrorism operations in mountainous terrain under United Nations (UN) mandate.
Indian PRL scientists discover new planet
- Scientists from Physical Research Laboratory (PRL), Ahmedabad discovered distant planet revolving around Sun-like star for first time.
- Both the planet and the star have been named EPIC.
- With this discovery India joins handful of countries which have discovered planets around stars.
- EPIC planet has been named as EPIC 211945201b (or K2-236b) and host star has been named EPIC 211945201 (or K2-236).
- The EPIC planet is six times bigger than Earth and revolves around host about 600 light years away.
ISRO to transfer lithium ion cell technology
- The rocket sciences arm of ISRO, Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC) decided to transfer its own in-house lithium ion (Li ion) cell technology to successful Indian industries and start-ups on non-exclusive basis in automobiles for Rs. 1 crore.
- It aims to accelerate development of indigenous electric vehicle (EV) industry and reduce dependence of imported lithium ion cell technology.
- It will help in establishing production facilities in the country that can produce cells of varying size, capacity, energy density and power density catering to entire spectrum of power storage requirements of electric vehicles (EVs).