GA- 14 Nov 2017
Nov 14: World Diabetes Day
- The World Diabetes Day was observed every year across the world on Nov 14 to raise awareness about diabetes.
- 2017 theme is “Women and diabetes – Our right to a healthy future’.
- The day aims to pursue multilateral efforts to promote and improve human health and provide access to health-care treatment and education.
- The campaign is represented by a blue circle logo that was adopted in 2007 after the passage of the UN Resolution on diabetes.
- The blue circle is the global symbol for diabetes awareness. It signifies the unity of the global diabetes community in response to the diabetes epidemic.
India will not pursue Islamic banking
- The Reserve Bank of India has decided not to pursue a proposal for introduction of Islamic banking in the country.
- The decision was taken after considering “the wider and equal opportunities” available to all citizens to access banking and financial services.
- Islamic or Sharia banking is a finance system based on the principles of not charging interest, which is prohibited under Islam.
- The issue of introduction of Islamic banking in India was examined by the RBI and the government of India.
10th South Asia Economic Summit begins at Kathmandu
- The 10th South Asia Economic Summit (SAES) begins at Kathmandu from Nov 14.
- The theme of three day summit is “Deepening Economic Integration for Inclusive and Sustainable Development in South Asia”.
- The summit is organised by National Planning Commission and Ministry of Commerce of Nepal and South Asia Watch on Trade, Economics and Environment, Nepal.South Asia Economic Summit (SAES) was started in 2008.
- It is a regional platform for discussing and analyzing economic and development issues and challenges faced by South Asian countries and advancing the cause of regional integration and cooperation.
Mumbai to host Asian Bankers Association summit
- The nation’s financial capital, Mumbai for the first time will host the 34th annual conference of the Asian Bankers Association (ABA).
- The two-day conference will be held in the megapolis from Nov 16.
- State Bank will host the Summit with the theme of ‘Asia’s turn to transform’.
- Asian Bankers Association (ABA) was founded in 1981.
- The ABA serves as a forum for advancing the cause of the banking industry and promote regional economic cooperation across the continent.
IEAG-MR lauds India for ‘Measles & Rubella’ containment drive
- The India Expert Advisory Group on Measles & Rubella (IEAG-MR) has commended India on progress of measles and rubella vaccination campaign.
- It reviewed existing strategies and efforts towards measles elimination and control of rubella. It concluded that India is on the right track.
- The group has advised for the MR vaccination campaign to cover the whole country by 2018.
- Presently, 13 states have been covered by the vaccination campaign.
- The Group has also recommended to strengthen the surveillance for Measles and Rubella and to expand the MR laboratory network.
India Youth Development Index and Report 2017 released
- Union Minister of State for Youth Affairs and Sports (Independent Charge) Col. Rajyavardhan Rathore released the India Youth Development Index and Report 2017.
- The objective of the India Youth Development Index (YDI) 2017 is to track the trends in Youth Development across the States.
- It has been developed by the Rajiv Gandhi National Institute of Youth Development (RGNIYD), Sriperumbudur, Tamil Nadu, an Institute of National Importance.
- The Index enables recognizing the high and low performing states, identifies the weak domains and informs the policy makers the priority areas of intervention for youth development in the states.
- In India Youth Development Index 2017, the five dimensions of Global Youth Development Index (Global YDI) have been retained.
- These five dimensions are education, health and well-being, employment and opportunity, political participation and civic participation for young people.
Indian Railways launches largest time-bound upskilling exercise
- The Indian Railways launched the country’s largest time-bound “upskilling” exercise, Project Saksham for government employees to upgrade the skillsets of its 13 lakh-strong workforce with a single drive spanning nine months.
- The exercise will start in January 2018 and go on till September.
- Employees from the rank of a peon to the Railway Board Members and everyone in between will undergo the training.
- The mass skilling exercise aims for image makeover of Indian Railways by increasing the productivity and efficiency of its employees.
- It will be a five-day-on-the-job or classroom training in Railway Training Centres, depending on the nature of their employment.
India becoming world’s top sulphur dioxide emitter
- Researchers at University of Maryland, US, said that India is overtaking China to become world’s largest emitter of anthropogenic Sulphur Dioxide (SO2).
- SO2 is an air pollutant that causes acid rain, haze and many health-related problems.
- It is produced predominantly during burning of coal to generate electricity and vehicular emissions.
- India’s emissions of SO2 has increased by 50% since 2007.
- India opened its largest coal-fired power plant in 2012 and has yet to implement emission controls, while China’s fell by 75%.
WCD Ministry to Host Hausala 2017 to Celebrate Child Rights Week
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development will celebrate the Child Rights Week (Hausla 2017) from 16th to 20th November, 2017.
- The country celebrates the Children’s Day on 14th November and the International Child Rights Day is celebrated on 20th November every year.
- The period between the two important events will be celebrated as Child Rights Week by WCD Ministry by hosting an Inter CCI Festival for the children who reside in Child Care Institutions (CCIs).
- It will provide an occasion to showcase the talents of children from CCIs from various child care institutions across the country and provide them with a space to express their dreams and aspiration.
- Children will be participating in various events like Bal Sansad, painting competition, athletics meet, football, chess competition and speech writing.
Rice Field laboratory in Manila named after PM Modi
- PM Narendra Modi inaugurated rice field laboratory, ‘Shri Narendra Modi Resilient Rice Field Laboratory’ named after him in International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) in Los Banos in Philippines during his three-day visit to attend ASEAN-India and East Asia summits.
- India is setting up regional centre of IRRI in Varanasi to develop high-yielding rice varieties to increase farmers’ income by enhancing and supporting rice productivity, reducing cost of production, value addition, diversification and enhancement of farmers’ skills.
- IRRI is a premier research organisation dedicated to reducing poverty and hunger through rice science; improving the health and welfare of rice farmers and consumers; and protecting the rice growing environment for future generations.
Air India gets Rs. 1,500 crore BoI loan
- Air India has received a loan worth Rs. 1,500 crore from Bank of India to meet urgent working capital needs less than a month after floating a tender in this regard.
- The air carrier had borrowed about Rs. 3,250 crore as short-tenure loans from two lenders, IndusInd Bank and Punjab National Bank.
- This loan too was for meeting urgent working capital needs and the tender was floated in September.
- In the last nearly three months, at least two public sector lenders — Bank of India and Punjab National Bank — have provided loans to the airline.
Bangladesh Chief Justice Surendra Kumar Sinha resigns
- Bangladesh’s first Hindu Chief Justice Surendra Kumar Sinha, facing graft and money laundering allegations, has resigned a month after he went on leave abroad amid a row with the government over a crucial Supreme Court judgement.
- He assumed office on January 17, 2015 as the country’s 21st Chief Justice.
- He is scheduled to retire on January 31 next.