GA- 18 May 2018
May 18: International Museum Day
- The International Museum Day is observed every year on May 18 across the world to raise awareness on how important museums are in the development of society.
- 2018 theme: ‘Museums and Hyper Communication – New Approaches and New Public.’
- International Museum Day was instituted in 1977 by International Council of Museums (ICOM).
- The objective of day is to raise awareness of museums as an important means of cultural exchange, enrichment of cultures and development of mutual understanding, cooperation and peace among peoples.
RBI tweaks norms for setting up of IFSC Banking Units
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) modified norms for setting up International Financial Services Centres (IFSC) Banking Units (IBUs) by banks in IFSCs.
- In April 2015, RBI had formulated scheme for setting up of IFSC IBUs by banks in IFSCs.
- The parent bank will be required to provide and maintain at all times a minimum capital of USD 20 million or equivalent in any foreign currency to its IBU.
- However, minimum prescribed regulatory capital, including for exposures of IBU, should be maintained on on-going basis at parent level.
- The guidelines are applicable to IBUs set up in Gujarat International Finance Tec-City (GIFT) as well as in other IFSCs which may be set up in India.
‘Physical and Social Infrastructure for Regional Development’ Conference held in Guwahati
- The two days regional conference on ‘Physical and Social Infrastructure for Regional Development’ has been held in Guwahati, Assam.
- It was inaugurated by Prof. Jagdish Mukhi, the Governor of Assam.
- The Seminar is organized in collaboration with the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB), Research and Information System for Developing Countries (RIS) and the Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industries (FICCI).
India’s economy to grow at 7.6% in 2018-19: UN WESP
- According to UN World Economic Situation and Prospects (WESP), India’s economy has been projected to grow at 7.6% in fiscal year 2018-19, making it fastest growing economy in the world.
- GDP growth in India is expected at 7.5 and 7.6% in fiscal years 2017-18 and 2018-19 respectively.
- This is a substantial recovery from 6.7% growth India registered in fiscal year 2017.
- World economy is projected to reach 3.2% both in 2018 and 2019, an upward revision by 0.2 and 0.1%, respectively.
- UN World Economic Situation and Prospects (WESP) report is joint product of UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN/DESA), UN Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) and five United Nations regional commissions.
IISER develops device to detect and remove arsenic from water
- The Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER) in collaboration with private company developed a new device-Arsenic Sensor and Removal Media to detect and remove arsenic content from water and make it safe and usable by households.
- The device is very easy to use, very cost effective and anyone can use it to detect arsenic easily.
- It uses very simple and household detection sensing methodology. It is capable of sensing soluble arsenic (3) which cannot be easily detected and removed.
- It can show immediate change in colour in arsenic contaminated water.
- Arsenic is a natural component in the earth’s crust.
Commerce Ministry establishes DGTR
- The Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry has issued a notification for creation of Directorate General of Trade Remedies (DGTR) in Department of Commerce.
- DGTR will be apex national authority for administering all trade remedial measures including anti-dumping, countervailing duties and safeguard measures.
- It will bring Directorate General of Anti-dumping and Allied duties (DGAD), Directorate General of Safeguards (DGS) and Safeguards (QR) functions into its fold by merging them into one single national entity.
Tata Steel to acquire Bhushan Steel
- The National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) has approved Tata Steel’s bid for Bhushan Steel Limited (BSL), clearing the deck for the bankrupt mill’s acquisition by India’s oldest maker of the primary infrastructure alloy.
- The NCLT also dismissed a plea filed by the employees of Bhushan Steel opposing Tata Steel’s bid.
- It also rejected another petition by engineering and construction major L&T, an operational creditor to Bhushan Steel: L&T had sought priority in repayment of debt in the resolution process.
- Bamnipal Steel Limited (BNPL), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Tata Steel, will initially subscribe to 72.65 per cent equity share capital of BSL at face value i.e. at Rs 2 per share, for an aggregate amount of Rs 158.89 crore.
- The principal bench of NCLT has approved Rs 32,500-crore deal along with 12.27 per cent equity in Bhushan Steel offered by Tata Steel.
HP govt sanctions Rs 25 cr for renovating Bantony Castle
- The Himachal Pradesh govt will spend Rs 25 crore on renovating and developing the historic British Raj ‘Bantony Castle Estate’ as a major tourist attraction.
- The castle was one of the historic and monumental buildings of Shimla town with a very rich history.
- ‘Gram Shilp Mela’ was a new beginning for the Bantony Castle as artisans from different parts of the state got an opportunity to exhibit their artifacts.
- The Bantony Castle, owned by a business family and housing the state police headquarters, was acquired by the government for Rs 27.84 crore two years ago.
Indore ranked India’s first cleanest city
- According to the Swachh Survekshan 2018, Indore has been ranked India’s first cleanest city, as per latest survey ‘Swachh Survekshan-2018’.
- Bhopal ranked second whereas Chandigarh third in the survey at the national level.
- Besides, Vijaywada in Andhra Pradesh is India’s cleanest big city with a population of over 10 lakh.
- Ghaziabad in Uttar Pradesh is ‘Fastest Mover’ big city.
- New Delhi Municipal Council is country’s cleanest small city having a population between one lakh to three lakh.
- The Swachh Survekshan 2018 assessed 4203 urban local bodies and was organized by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs under the Swachh Bharat Mission (Urban).
Union Environment Ministry launches Green Skill Development Programme
- The Union Environment Ministry, Harsh Vardhan has launched its full fledged Green Skill Development Programme(GSDP).
- It aims to train over 5.5 lakh workers in environment and forest sectors in the country through 30 courses by 2021.
- A related mobile app ‘GSDP-ENVIS’ has also been launched to boost employability and entrepreneurship of the youth in the country.
- The GSDP was launched last year as a pilot project in 10 districts of the country wherein 154 youths (mainly school dropouts) were trained as parataxonomists and biodiversity conservationists.
- The Union Environment Ministry on May 15, 2018 launched the Green Skill Development Programme (GSDP) with an aim to train over 5.5 lakh workers in environment and forest sectors in the country.
Guatemala becomes 2nd country to open Jerusalem Embassy
- Guatemala has become the second country after US to open its Embassy in Jerusalem.
- The U.S. moved its embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu attended the Guatemalan embassy’s opening in west Jerusalem.
- Paraguay has said it will follow the U.S. and Guatemala by moving its embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem by the end of May.
President appoints Uttam Pacharne as Chairman of Lalit Kala Akademi
- President Ram Nath Kovind appointed Uttam Pacharne as the regular Chairman of Lalit Kala Akademi.
- He will have tenure of three years from the date on which he assumes the charge of his office.
- He will replace ML Srivastava, Joint Secretary (Akademies), Ministry of Culture who was appointed protem chairman of Akademi in March 2018.
Ambika Sharma to head USIBC India office
- The U.S India Business Council has named Ambika Sharma as its head for India.
- She was Director General for International at the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI).
- As Director General of FICCI, Sharma is the highest ranked female executive of an Indian industry body.
- She will be responsible for overseeing and guiding USIBC’s growth strategy in India through its offices in New Delhi and Mumbai, as well as leading the charge on policy advocacy issues for USIBC’s diverse membership with a variety of stakeholders.
Susheela Jayapal elected as a member of the Board of Commissioners
- Susheela Jayapal, who is the sister of Indian American Congresswoman Pramila Jayapal, become the first South Asian to be elected as a member of the Board of Commissioners of Multnomah County in Oregon in the western US State.
- She won the District 2 seat on the Multnomah County Board of Commissioners with 57% of the vote.
- She will represent North and Northeast Portland commissioner’s seat.
Yudhvir Singh Malik given additional charge of the post of NHAI
- Yudhvir Singh Malik has been given additional charge of the post of National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) chairman.
- He succeeded Deepak Kumar, who was sent back to his cadre state Bihar before completion of his tenure.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved the premature repatriation of Kumar to his parent cadre with immediate effect without citing any reason.
Nirmala Sitharaman gave away the DRDO Awards- 2016 & 2017
- The Union Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman gave away the DRDO Awards- 2016 & 2017 to various DRDO scientists for their outstanding contributions to commemorate the National Technology Day (NTD-2018).
- Dr V K Saraswat, the former Secretary Department of Defence R&D, Scientific Advisor to Raksha Mantri and Director General of DRDO, has been honoured with the DRDO Lifetime Achievement Award – 2017.
- The DRDO Lifetime Achievement Award – 2016 has been conferred to Dr Vasudev Kalkunte Aatre, the former Secretary Department of Defence R&D, Scientific Advisor to Raksha Mantri and DG of DRDO.
- Meanwhile, Dr G Satheesh Reddy, the Scientific Advisor to Raksha Mantri, Distinguished Scientist & Director General (Missiles & Strategic Systems), won the Technology Leadership Award – 2016, etc.
Sridevi honoured at Cannes Film festival
- Veteran Bollywood actor Sridevi was honoured with the TITAN Reginald F Lewis Film Icon Award at the ongoing 71st Cannes Film Festival.
- The award traditionally celebrates women of the film industry all over the world and also salute the multi-cultural impact on the world of cinema.
- Veteran filmmaker Subhash Ghai and producer Namrata Goyal received the award on behalf of Sridevi’s family.
Anindita Anaam honoured with prestigious ‘Shri Jayadev Rastriya Yuva Pratibha Puraskar 2018’
- US-based Kathak dancer, Anindita Anaam honoured with the prestigious ‘Shri Jayadev Rastriya Yuva Pratibha Puraskar 2018’ for her outstanding contribution to the field of art.
- The award was presented to the Kathak exponent during the ‘Jayadev International Dance Festival’.
- The 4-day festival that began on May 13 has been organised under the aegis of Odisha’s culture department and National Culture Mission.
John Gregory honoured with Special Achievement Award by England’s LMA
- Chennaiyin FC head coach John Gregory has been honoured with a Special Achievement Award by England’s League Managers’ Association (LMA) in London for becoming the first Englishman to win the Indian Super League (ISL).
- Chennaiyin FC beaten Bengaluru FC in the ISL final in March 2018 to claim the trophy.
- The LMA is a body in England for English coaches and all managers in English football.
First Para-National Games to be held in Bengaluru
- The inaugural National Para Games, on the lines of National Games for able-bodied athletes, will held under the Khelo India Scheme from Jun 28 to Jul 07 in Bengaluru.
- The Paralympic Committee of India will be responsible for the technical conduct of the Games while all the funding will be done by the sports ministry under the Khelo India Scheme.
- The Games will be held for the age group of 16 to 40 (men and women) in 10 disciplines — para athletics, badminton, chess, blind judo, para powerlifting, shooting para sport, para swimming, table tennis, wheelchair basketball, wheelchair fencing.
- The Khelo India programme was introduced by Ministry of Sports and Youth affairs to revive sports culture in India at grass-root level.
- Its objective is to build strong framework for all sports played in our country and establish India as great sporting nation.
Lewis Hamilton wins Spanish Grand Prix tournament
- Lewis Hamilton, a British racing driver who races in Formula One for the Mercedes AMG Petronas team, won the Formula 1 Spanish Grand Prix tournament 2018 at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya in Spain.
- Valtteri Bottas of Mercedes stood second in the race.